Paper Screen Project

July 20, 2010

Here is the paper screen/ shoji screen project I learned during Helen Hiebert’s “Paper in 3D” class at Sitka.

Each panel is 6″ wide by 12″ tall and created using balsa wood.

Cutting lace paper to cover one side of project.

Gluing down paper.

Front and back covered in Thai paper. Next step is hinges.

I started on the green side and attached paper hinges.  Notice how it alternates sides.

Flipping over the panels and getting ready to attach hinges to opposite side.

Screen hinged!

Close up of hinge. If I had used contrasting colors it would have shown up more clearly.

Green side of screen.

I feel like I have a long way to go before feeling comfortable with this new technique. Getting the balsa wood to fit perfectly is challenging. Using a small miter box with a fine saw blade helped enormously. One can always shave off more wood using an x-acto blade for a better joint.

About these ads
  1. Jean permalink
    July 20, 2010 11:39 am

Looks great, thanks for the details as you progressed. Jean

2. corvallisfallfestival permalink
    July 20, 2010 11:52 am

Great seeing an art post again!!

July 20, 2010 11:56 am

It was just what I needed yesterday! Hoping to do some more today… if I can get off the computer! Ha!

3. July 20, 2010 4:51 pm

That’s beautiful, Gale. Is the last image the same paper as the ones above?

July 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks Carol! Yep, it’s all the same thing. Green on one side, white lace paper on the other. I just finished covering a small screen with 5 panels total. Might get images uploaded later this week.

4. July 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Nice color. Wonder if you could sell them as boutique items here…

July 26, 2010 7:39 am

Ahh, now that WOULD be nice! Have any contacts? They should be easy to ship since they weigh about nothing!
      Yes, the color combo really worked on this one. I’m taking the 5 panel one into work to help screen off my messy desk. Might have to venture to Salem for more colorful card stock this week plus more Thai paper. Working on holiday ideas too… I really dislike thinking about Christmas in July but it’s a must.

• July 27, 2010 12:26 am

I sure don’t have contacts, but you know, I might keep my open.

This is all very hypothetical, but instinct tells me the one tricky aspect is quality (it always is, here). Would paper hinges hold up? If you were selling them on your own at a fair or flea market, it might not be such a big deal, though.

July 30, 2010 8:45 am

Not to worry Chris. As you probably have noticed, I don’t stick to one thing terribly long! There is probably no way for me to be inspired enough to keep creating these, let alone market them in my area or even overseas. The hinges actually hold up quite well, unless you have an abusive person wronking on them! They probably have something very similar produced there or in China!
        Enjoy your hot weather! :)

Trackbacks