Getting started

June 27, 2014

paper patterns

Finally, I have a break to seriously start work on the Camas Project. It’s taken several weeks to accumulate supplies, with glue being the last to arrive. Some parts are still missing but that’s ok for now. They won’t be necessary until August, but I’ll start gathering in early July. Wire forms are slowly getting covered with dress pattern paper. All the dress marks, arrows, circles and lines are adding a fun quality to the forms I hadn’t expected.

One thing I didn’t anticipate was what to do with the drying parts.  The individual flower/buds  require a long drying period with the new glue. Depending on the weather, which happens to be cold and rainy, it could take several hours to days (and I’m guessing days right now!).  I’ve resorted to hanging the finished camas buds on a wood frame to avoid damage by dogs or husband. It’s always a challenge when working in small home studio spaces!

hanging pods

I’ll continue to crank out a wide variety of bud sizes and also start work on constructing open flower petals. It’s all assembly line process for the moment. I’m kind of looking forward to playing with the encaustic wax  once we get up into the 80’s!

1. June 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Looking very cool. Thanks for sharing your process.

June 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks Kate!
      I’m finally in a familiar zone that should flow smoothly.:D

2. Hester Coucke permalink
    June 27, 2014 1:24 pm

They look beautiful! The pattern lines work really well….

June 27, 2014 2:48 pm

😀
      I’m constantly surprised by the whole project!

3. June 27, 2014 3:57 pm

I really like the colour and the markings on the dress pattern.

June 27, 2014 4:26 pm

It’s going to be interesting to see how oil bars work on the surface after encaustic wax application. Always something new to confuse my brain.
      I really like the markings too!
      🙂

4. June 28, 2014 12:16 am

I love watching the process unfold

5. June 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Love the use of the old patterns, your buds look great. I am unfamiliar with encaustic work, so look forward to seeing what you do. Karen

June 28, 2014 9:50 pm

I can tell you right now that what I create with encaustic wax isl NOT traditional. Encaustic paintings are created on a board with colored wax and lots of layers. 😀 Even the mix of resin to wax isn’t the traditional percentages. I’m using it for one reason: to reach a certain level of translucency. Too bad the flowers and buds wont be lit from the interior. 😦
      Hopefully I might be able to start waxing on Monday night… if everything goes well with the house sale.

• June 29, 2014 4:40 am

Fingers are crossed for your sale

June 29, 2014 8:20 am

It should all be over and done Monday night, with exception of a roof leak fix bill. This is the last property sale and I’m happy to be moving on with life. 😀