Keeping it under wraps

June 14, 2015
cropped image of the tree rings after waxing

cropped image of the tree rings after waxing

This is the only teaser I’ll be posting of the finished “Tree Rings- One Year After Cutting”. The above work has been waxed and then lighted from behind. It’s next step will involve framing and back-lighting. Overall, I’m pretty happy with how this has turned out. There are a few glitchy things that I’m not certain I’ll be able to fix to my liking. Let’s just say “tension wrinkles happen”. I now have a better idea of how to avoid them (hopefully) with the next cutting project. The final reveal will occur once the piece is framed and complete. That might happen in a couple of weeks so don’t be holding your breath! Framing is my least favorite thing to do since it makes me step outside my comfort zone.

This one of several pieces I’ll enter into a jury selection for a specific show titled Rot: The afterlife of trees at The Arts Center of Corvallis Oregon.

1. June 14, 2015 4:13 pm

It is looking great Gale, even if it is only a teaser. Good luck with the framing. Karen

June 15, 2015 10:55 am

I’ll be putting the framing on hold until another project is completed…. a certain forest pattern book that is! 🙂

2. Rebecca Harkey permalink
    June 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Awesome as always! Can’t wait to see the end product.

June 15, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks Becky! Big hugs to the Texas crowd. Love you all!

3. June 14, 2015 6:42 pm

This is amazing Gale, really incredible!

June 15, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks Cathe. It’s taken up my artistic energy of late. Time to start work on Karen’s book now!

4. June 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Wow! Yes—really incredible and I am sure the photographs do not do it justice.

June 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Thank you Nancy! Yes, the photo isn’t the best…. But it gives a good hint at what it’s like. Thanks for your comment!

5. June 15, 2015 10:32 pm

This has a wonderful textured look – the wax is such a nice finish, it adds unpredictable but such beautiful marks.

June 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Thank you Anna! It’s feeling like a good thing so I’ll keep plugging along with the other design ideas. 🙂

6. June 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Reblogged this on Art Hacker and Creative Advocate and commented:
    I love this! With all my years working within Forest industry, I always love how tree rings and wood ages! Wonderful idea. very creative! Love how design is always found in nature. We are all meant to share our creativeness. We just need to find how to express it.

June 29, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks Kelly! There is more to come on this subject.
      🙂