Life is calming down as the weather shifts towards rain. A couple of friends took a nature printing class that inspired me to play with leaves, colors, and cloth.
Since I really have no idea what I’m doing, the mark of a true adventure, I pulled out fabric screen ink, waxed paper, paper towels, and made a foam covered blotter (a suggestion by the friend). A few maple leaves provided the templates and off I went a dabbing!
The initial attempts used slightly dampened cloth (old cotton sheets) with the inked leaf. If it’s too wet, the ink bleeds creating fuzzy edges. The more I played, the more I leaned towards using dry cloth as in the above images. How thick the ink was also made a difference. Top image used denser ink, lower used more watered down. I’m not sure what I want out of this experiment, but leaning towards creating unique tea towels.
When pulling out tea towels I discovered a bunch of un-sewn bags cut years ago for another project. The above image is from the testing of one. The material is a light weight cotton canvas and it took the ink rather well. All it needs now is heat setting and a sew up!
Creativity is slowly creeping back into my life again. Hopefully it will stay for good!