This is my adventure into creating an art installation for the Art in Rural Storefronts project sponsored by The Arts Center of Corvallis. ARS serves regional audiences in Linn and Benton Counties by bringing innovative, thought- provoking art projects to rural communities that lack spaces dedicated to contemporary/non-commercial art. Three artists were chosen to participate. The project is funded in part by the Oregon Arts Commission.
November 13: Things are moving forward slowly. Very slowly. Granted, I’ve had several bouts of gluten poisoning (not intentional) and it takes me many days to start feeling back to normal. Maybe I should just stop eating out! Wait! That’s my only social life these days!
Anyway, here a a couple of head shots of the fish.
Still have a few head alterations to make but it’s coming along.
Looking down the long row:
I’ve been experimenting with how to keep my focus on the project for longer periods of time in the studio. When working on printmaking, I use high energy music to keep me focused. For some reason this isn’t working for the fish project. In the evenings I’m reading Oliver Sacks book on music. He (and other researchers) seem to think Mozart is the way to increase creative productivity. After combing through the CD rack I discovered none. Tchaikovsky yes! Mozart, no. Ah ha! This is probably why I’m having problems. So, I started experimenting with something completely different: Netflix! Humor seems to be the key for success. Right now, Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations is the grabber. Who would have thought a foodie/travel program featuring a chain smoking crazy chef could keep me working? He just cracks me up! Thank goodness for Nook technology. 🙂
This week I plan on completing the fish. Last night I determined the fish needs to be “swimming” in the piece. No, not actual movement. That’s too much for my brain to take on at the moment, but a gentle S curve to the form. I think I can do it with a 1×8 board. Hardware store here I come!
10 thoughts on “Unseen Natives: progress”
What an interesting development.
Hopefully it’s interesting in a good way. If not, that’s ok too. I know it’s not everyone’s cup-o-tea.
It’s looking good!
I certainly mean it in a good way!
Well, thank you very much. 🙂
It’s very odd creating something different than my “normal” stuff. Works the brain much harder.
From the pictures, it appears you are overlapping two hanging displays. The result of this overlap, the appearance of a scaly fish, is intriguing. Maybe this is because it is so unexpected from the individual appearance of each, and therefore new, novel.
Yep, you’ve got it. There will be a total of 5 “layers” to make up the one fish. A center layer and two additional layers per side.
hope it can be lit up at night! but that may be asking too much of a “free” space.
Actually Sarah will allow me to light the work which was a huge relief! I’m glad the holidays are just around the corner because there are LOTs of LED lights on the market. I’ve already purchased a string to light the fish eggs. 🙂
Now I need to find out if I can drill a couple of holes in her ceiling to hang the fish. I have a shopping list for the hardware store for the weekend.
Progress is good and time is getting short!