A weekend in the hills

May 19, 2014

shannon workshopOn Saturday and Sunday, I attended a workshop taught by artist Shannon Weber in the hills just south of Eugene. I met Shannon during a recent gallery opening and subsequent artist talk at The Arts Center in Corvallis. She happened to be teaching a workshop that peaked my interest so I signed up. Little did I know I would be the only student in the class! I didn’t take this class with specific needs or requests, I wanted to  play and learn how her approach could influence my own work. So that’s what we did. She set up specific exercises to see where my “light bulb” turned on. We played with roots, stems, branches, leaves, string, cordage, bark, wax, and so much more. I came away with new ideas of how to approach lighted forms and possible wall assemblages. Loads of things to mentally digest, plus a few items I need to purchase. The above image is a close-up of a panel I worked on (equisetum, cord, sea grass, bark). Please click on Shannon’s name above to see her work. It’s well worth it!

mini donkey

There were 2 miniature donkeys on site. Such soft noses! I fell in love, but realize they are not a pet for me. I can bet my husband is thrilled to hear that!

🙂

1. Katheryn Byram permalink
    May 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for introducing me to another fabulous artist! I love Shannon’s work.

Sent from Katheryn Byram

May 22, 2014 10:20 am

Not a problem. I hope you had the opportunity to see her show at the Arts Center. She is one amazing woman!

2. May 20, 2014 12:07 am

What a great opportunity, and one-on-one coaching! I looked at Shannon’s work, and you are right, it is fabulous.

May 22, 2014 10:22 am

I was so shocked to be the only one there. I couldn’t have envisioned a better opportunity. She has certainly sent my brain off in new directions!

3. May 20, 2014 3:29 am

What a great opportunity to work one on one with such a great artist. I really loved her work, and the donkey was so sweet. Karen

May 22, 2014 10:27 am

I’ve always enjoyed the idea of utilizing natural materials directly around yourself for art and that’s what she is about. I’m looking forward to some fun creation time (once I track down a couple of supplies). 🙂

4. May 20, 2014 4:52 am

Hahahaha I bet Nigel is happy too 🙂

May 22, 2014 10:28 am

I bet he would approve of a donkey if the hell hounds would leave. At least donkeys don’t try to eat cats!

• May 23, 2014 2:56 am

haha very true. And he could ride on his back around the garden. How long are the hell hounds with you now?

May 23, 2014 9:05 am

We just passed over the 1/2 way mark. Only 9 more months to go!
        I will never ever do this again!

• May 24, 2014 2:03 pm

You deserve a medal. Sparta says, ‘So does Nigel’.

May 25, 2014 8:32 am

Nigel says “thanks, but I want my house back”
        😉