Throwing Bowls

December 11, 2011

How long has it been? One, two, four or even five years since tackling any wheel thrown projects?  Such a long hiatus. Can I actually center & pull up walls? Yes! Kind of. Fortunately new clay was purchased on Monday. Wednesday my big sister helped move the wheel back inside.  I finally gathered all the necessary tools from the garage & got to work this morning.

Amazingly enough, it was kind of like riding a bicycle.  Centering and pulling up the form came easily. Now shape consistency, that’s a different matter! I tried helped myself out by weighing out balls of clay, but there are still discrepancies.  No worries! They are destined to become gifts and it really doesn’t matter if each bowl perfectly matches the others.  The majority will go to a Christmas Eve clam chowder event at a good friends home.  Each attendee will use it for dinner then take it home. Unfortunately, we probably won’t be able to attend.

During school, I spent many hours throwing pots in the basement of Campbell Hall at Western Oregon University. No windows, two banks of wheels facing each other with open shelves between. Ah, the old days! I always enjoyed that space. When I purchased my wheel & tried to work from home, it just wasn’t the same. Too many visual distractions. Today I set up the wheel in the stripped out bathroom (down to the bare studs!). Not very pretty, certainly on the cool side, but oddly reminiscent of my hours in the basement. Maybe that’s what I need.  A small space, no windows (heat please) and no distractions.

The dogs have not been pleased at the gate placed between us. Yes, I had to separate them from the work. Moby would have just shoved his big snout into everything or tried to climb in my lap. George whined enough to be let in. He’s special! Then he proceeded to wedge himself between my foot & the wall. Ever so helpful. He’s always liked being in close quarters.

More bowls to emerge soon after a dog walk! Tracie & possibly my family will be set for the holiday!

Oh, the clay body is basically a porcelain low- fire. I’ll be using an velvet underglaze of bright colors & a final transparent glaze to finish it off.  Due before December 24th.

1. Tracie permalink
    December 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh I’m so excited! I don’t think our guest list will be as large as we had thought. Have you reconsidered hanging with us? 🙂

Hugs!

December 11, 2011 9:30 pm

We will be there if our event lets out early. Bowl interiors will be blue, yellow & red. Would you like Chowder Feed 2011 stamped on the bottom???

2. December 12, 2011 3:05 am

Well done. It’s been DECADES since I threw pots. People don’t appreciate how physically difficult it is.

December 12, 2011 8:29 am

Oh so true! My body is a little sore this morning but 15 bowls await a trim. I did discover that I miss the meditative process of throwing. You should give it a try again Rosie!

• December 12, 2011 12:29 pm

I think I’ll suggest this to my gym as a new way to attract members.

December 12, 2011 2:54 pm

You should have a “bowl throwing extravaganza!” Ask local potters for help. Or ask them for rejected items to destroy. Cause there are more ways the “throw bowls”. 🙂

3. Kim permalink
    December 12, 2011 8:27 am

Gale, they are beautiful! You create such wonderful art.

December 12, 2011 8:37 am

Thank you big sista! You too create beautiful work. I just wish people could see & appreciate it!!!!

4. December 12, 2011 8:57 am

Look pretty darn consistent to me… since it’s been awhile since you cooked in your kiln, you might want to vacuum it out after bisque firing so that glossy overglaze doesn’t get contaminated.

December 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Ohh, thanks for the suggestion Cynthia! That’s one I wouldn’t have remembered to do. Nice to have good friends help remind us of things long forgotten!

5. December 12, 2011 3:47 pm

To promote it, I need to know what muscle groups are involved and whether it’s an aerobic or a strength activity.

December 13, 2011 8:29 am

Strength training for sure. Not aerobic. Meditative, still not certain what muscle groups are best utilized. Think shoulders, arms, back and probably some stomach. You should ask a real potter and that ain’t me. 😉