Loss

September 21, 2015
tags: ,

nigel

This morning I got up and went looking for Nigel. He wasn’t around, which was unusual since he loves his food and doesn’t miss out on a morning feeding. I went to the front door and called his special call. Nothing. I went out back and called. Nothing. Dread set in as I pulled on my shoes to check the main road. I didn’t have to look very far because he was there. Dead. There wasn’t any suffering.

He was my favorite of all our cats and we have so many fond memories with the big guy. He loved our dogs, especially Mocha, our first pointer. When Moby came into our life, he resumed his long lost pointer friendship with him. I was looking forward to spending lots of quality time with him this winter, cuddled on my lap. He had been with us for over 11 years and outlived both of his siblings.

I really won’t miss all the mice, voles, rabbits, birds, flying squirrels, and other critters he would bring in our house (as I smell a dead one right now, location yet to be determined).

I was going to write about honoring my mother’s spirit today, since it would have been her 85th birthday and we did tons of work out at her coast house this weekend. But I’ll save that for another day. One loss at a time.

1. September 21, 2015 9:46 am

So sorry to hear! I’m glad he didn’t suffer.

October 1, 2015 12:36 pm

Thank you! He was such a good cat, even when he pissed us off with all the critters he introduced into the house. He really liked to share everything with us. Sigh…

2. Mary permalink
    September 21, 2015 10:16 am

Gale,
    Very sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you and Dave. Thank you for posting the beautiful photo of him.
    Mary

October 1, 2015 12:35 pm

Thank you Mary. He was one in, well, at least 100 cats. We were so lucky to have had him for so long.

3. September 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Oh Gale I am so sorry for the loss of one of your family members and I will miss Nigel through your blog. Such a sad time for you, the loss of a pet leaves such a hole in your life. Virtual hugs. Karen x

October 1, 2015 12:33 pm

Thank you Karen. Yes, he certainly had a presence on the blog. I was always complaining about all the dead/alive critters he would bring us. I won’t miss that about him, but I do miss everything else. 🙂

4. September 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Awww… so sorry. Not an easy thing ever, but glad he didn’t suffer. Shit.

October 1, 2015 12:32 pm

No more free roaming cats for our house, well, once MeMe leaves. She happens to be a major homebody and only roams across the street. Probably no chance of her getting hit….
      The end of an era.

5. September 22, 2015 12:50 am

Awe, so sad, thinking of you….the love they let us experience is so hard to let go

October 1, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks Rebecca. He was our most favorite cat. Even our dog misses him. Sigh. So goes life/ death with pets we allow to roam free. Next set of cats will be indoor only.

6. September 22, 2015 4:33 am

Oh Gale, I am so very sorry. Such sad news. I too send you virtual hugs.

October 1, 2015 12:28 pm

Thank you Cathe! Such a horrible way to lose a friend. It will take months to not expect him to come walking into the house.

7. Katheryn Byram permalink
    September 22, 2015 7:09 am

So sad to lose your buddy. They are often our greatest comfort.

October 1, 2015 12:27 pm

So true Kathy. It will take a few months to get used to not having him around. I keep expecting him to come meowing in from the backyard. He was a vocal one with a big presence.

8. September 23, 2015 1:08 am

I’m so sorry to hear this Gale, I felt I knew Nigel through your blog. He was a beautiful cat, clearly with lots of character. Your house will feel emptier without him. Hugs from me too x

October 1, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks Anna. Yes, our household is feeling the void. They can never be replaced.

9. Tracie permalink
    September 24, 2015 7:01 pm

I am so sorry to hear this Gale. I know how hard it is to lose a friend. You are in my thoughts. Hugs to you.

October 1, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks Tracie. It’s always a bummer to lose a long term friend. Sigh

10. September 28, 2015 5:39 am

I am so very sorry for your loss, Gale.

October 1, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks Nancy. The house is very quiet now.