Skip to content

Happiness in yellow 

June 16, 2016

Art in Rural Communities: Halsey 2016

The week is quickly coming to a close and several items have been accomplished!

  1. Contract signed and turned in.

2. Scroll saw and base delivered, set up, and tested.

3. Sign materials ordered!

4. Field research started.

5. Garage space cleared for action! Ok, plus a ping pong table delivered last Sunday (and still has yet to be used).

The week started with the delivery of a heavy yellow box. Inside the yellow box was a yellow piece of equipment! I actually held off opening the box until the giant mess in the garage was addressed.

img_2680

Delivery!

 

img_2681

New Scroll Saw without the work surface in place.

Scroll saw practice has begun and it works beautifully. The machine is super quiet, an added bonus. Since this is a new piece of equipment, I’ll be in a steep learning curve. I’m watching loads of “Scroll saw 101” courses on YouTube. Best blades to consider, how to cut good corners, cutting multiples, and other good bits of information. I miss not being able to ask my dad for help. He would have enjoyed this project. Below is my test image mounted to the sign material using spray mount glue.

img_2714

Pilot holes drilled

img_2717

Cutting out blackberry leaves.

Field research this week was sparse. The local farmers are growing numerous radish seed crops this season, plus stocking loads of beehives. The below field is about 3 miles from my home. Halsey has several radish fields with beehives close to town. One has a beautiful view of Mary’s Peak in the background and will probably make up one square.

radish_sepiatonal_geverett

Research for sign material has been more challenging. Finding the specific names of materials (in a field unknown to me) has been interesting. I’m thankful to my friend Carol for all the tips (and sample materials) she’s provided. I decided on a thinner product that should hold up to the task, and about $13 less expensive per 2ft x 4ft sheet (saving about $156). Normally, full sheets are 1/8″ x 48f” x 96″, an unmanageable size for me individually. After numerous online searches, I found 24″ x 48″. Bingo! I’ve ordered enough for the project…. I hope!

More research to come and hopefully drawings to start this weekend!

And for those who don’t know what this project is about: I was juried into Art in Rural Communities project through The Arts Center of Corvallis.  This year the project is in Halsey Oregon and will be an outdoor piece mounted to a wall. I’ll be posting images of my process from start to finish in September 2016. 

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. June 18, 2016 2:38 pm

    Great start Gale and I love your new scroll saw. You have amped up your paper cutting and now have a machine to do it. I am excited about this project and watching you work through it. Thanks for sharing. Karen

    • June 18, 2016 6:44 pm

      It should be interesting since these two worlds overlap quite nicely. As long as I can pull together solid images that read from a distance…. This is the scary part of the project. The actual creating of the pieces shouldn’t be bad.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: