Completing the first quad

August 7, 2016

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I’m pushing for a goal of 4 panels per week. Wednesday was the Hazelnut panel. It didn’t look all that complicated, but I had several interruptions that broke it into two days of work. Thursday, I set in motion the least liked (but certainly impressive) tree ring image. The day didn’t bode well as I immediately broke two new blades during installation. Urgh! Then I managed to make it 20 sections in and broke another. Eventually I made it to section 32 before another break. Not my day! Friday I sat down and actually examined my machine and figured out the problem/solution. Cutting went more smoothly (and without breaks) from that point forward. That’s what I get for learning a new machine during a project.

The original ring drawing was from a cedar tree that had super wavy growth rings. Douglas Fir have very strong circular rings , so I’m cleaning up the image as I cut. The radial short lines are checking from a drying process. The wider line is from where branch was growing outward (it changed the growth rings).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It took 3 days to complete cutting on the Doug Fir rings. A total of 149 sections cut! So glad that it’s done! I’ll take Sunday off and start again on Monday with the next four!

quad_a_geverettstudio

I should also note that the squares are 24″x 24″ (61cm x 61cm). The larger panels will measure 24″x 60″ (61cm x 152cm).

And if you don’t recall, this project is for an outdoor public artwork to hang in Halsey OR. The project is through The Arts Center of Corvallis and part of their Art in Rural Communitites program. Two artists have bee invited to participate this year, Bonnie Meltzer and myself. Our work will hang from mid September 2016  to mid February 2017.

1. August 7, 2016 11:22 am

Wow, these are fabulous!

• August 7, 2016 2:07 pm

It’s kinda nice to be moving along through this project. I’m actually feeling pretty proud of how it’s coming together. 🙂

2. August 7, 2016 10:42 pm

They look great Gale, I think this type of medium really shows your design skills as well as your keen cutting hand and eye coordination. Just love watching this project grow. Karen

• August 8, 2016 9:01 pm

Just don’t look too close. I’ve found that straight lines are the hardest thing ever! I also have tons of sanding to clean up the cuts. I’ll keep moving forward! 😄

• August 8, 2016 9:53 pm

It is so hard to cut straight with those thin little blades, but no but you will be looking that closely at your work.

3. August 8, 2016 5:33 am

Wow. I love these and nice seeing the slide show.

• August 8, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Nancy! Glad to know people like the slide show. I never quite know if it’s better to post single images or lump them together. Also glad you’re liking the piece thus far. 🙂