Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2009

May you find some positive light on this winter day!

Happy Holidays to you all.

Cheers!

Gale

1. December 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Nice wintry picture

December 27, 2009 9:57 am

It was a block print I carved for this years holiday card. So you start with a chunk of battleship linoleum, map out your image (which has our local Mary’s Peak in the background) keeping in mind everything will be reversed at the end, start carving, do testing, keep carving, and carving…Finally it reaches printing stage. Then I pulled out my oil based ink, inking slab, phone books (make excellent source for clean-up paper), set my press at the right tension, cut a jig for the plate to drop into and draw markings to allow correct alignment for the cards, ink the plate, drop it in the jig, plop the card stock over the top (which you wet with water and blot), flop over the press blankets (all in correct alignment) and crank it through, lift off blankets and pull up finished card. Repeat process for 65+ cards, oh, and don’t forget the water coloring after the oil ink dries! Labor intensive but a nice image can come through. Most people hand rub block prints. For me with wrists that object, that wasn’t an option this year. Plus I obtained a nice order for 30. Those were completed first before moving on to the family/friend cards.
      There is some threat of snow for tomorrow or the day after… probably won’t even make it to our area!
      ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Carol permalink
    December 27, 2009 11:17 am

Nice print, Gale, and you answered all the questions I had about how you did it. Except how you got the snow to fall through it. I’ve never been able to do that.
    Stay warm!
    C.

December 27, 2009 1:51 pm

The snow is thanks to the folks at WordPress. It will be falling lightly until Jan 4th… or something like that!
      I’m in the studio cleaning process. Filling up the recycle bin in a hurry! I hate not being able to find what I’m looking for. Maybe Ikea will be seeing us tomorrow.

3. agatelovers permalink
    December 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Beautiful! Thank you!

4. Cynthia Spencer permalink
    December 30, 2009 8:52 am

I’ve been noticing tree with similar trunk formations since seeing your cards. It’s nice when artwork makes us notice things differently.

5. January 9, 2010 6:39 am

I love this card! The colors are vivid and especially the texture makes everyone want to pick it up and hold it. It gets more comments than any other on my sideboard. Except maybe my sister’s family vacation photo from Ganymede…

Anyway, I knew it was a lot of work, but I guess I didn’t really appreciate it until I read your explanation above. Sheesh! And I bitched about making a Santa look like he was surfing. More art, less whining. That could be my new year’s resolution. Thanks for raising the bar!

January 9, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks Alex! You’re the best! The image is frame-able too! Don’t let Kelly recycle it!!!
      Keep watch for the “how to” images…. Printmaking is a fun process and it certainly is a “process” to go through! ๐Ÿ™‚