Heat Shift & Moths

June 30, 2013

butterfly1_geverett

For some reason, I felt our weather would remain rainy and drab all summer. Passing over Solstice, we seemed to shift into what the rest of the country has been experiencing. Hot! Ok, so Oregon doesn’t get really hot like Arizona, Texas, and other points south, but hitting over 90 (34C at the house) for multiple days is notable. Coping with hot weather when one feels cruddy isn’t easy.  Fortunately, the downstairs studio space is lusciously cool! Ahhh, just as long as I don’t have to wander around much.

The moth/butterfly photos are from last week. It was  resting in a shady place while I ran to find the camera. I’ve not seen this variety before and have been trying to go through the id key systems online with no luck. It’s certainly distinctive with the orange head and striped abdomen. Anyone know what type it is? It’s probably something very common that I’ve overlooked for years.

butterfly_geverett

1. Rebecca Harkey permalink
    June 30, 2013 7:06 pm

The butterfly skills I have, say anything orange & black is a Monarch Butterfly…… I would be interesting in knowing what it is… very striking!

June 30, 2013 10:42 pm

I do know it’s not a Monarch so that is a nice guess. We do see Swallowtails and skippers. I don’t know my bug world very well. 🙂

2. July 2, 2013 8:31 am

ooofff 90F you poor thing. Grey and drizzly here – as ever 🙂

3. July 9, 2013 7:26 pm

You might check out http://www.gardenswithwings.com. Nice site for butterfly info. I think you can search for local butterflies by zip code.

July 11, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks! I’ll check it out today. 🙂

4. July 20, 2013 1:37 am

Hope your weather is cooler now, though must say I envy you having a lovely cool studio. We are having a hot patch and I have to get up at the crack of dawn to work, as by midday my studio is too hot to paint in!

July 20, 2013 9:42 am

You all have been exceptionally warm! Our temps dipped down for a few days but back up to 31-33 c these days. Just too warm for my liking. Glad you’re back in the studio!!!

• July 20, 2013 9:48 am

Yes , that would definitely be too warm for me too, hope it cools down for you soon!