Ink change

January 16, 2014

kinglet p5

Today, my finger joints were bugging me so I chose to do limited work on the block. Gripping the dry point needle is very uncomfortable. There remains quite a bit to resolve on the bird and fingers but I’m feeling good about the whole image. A proof using thickened oil based ink (a bunch of burnt sienna with a little black)  was accomplished with much improvement! The ink remained on the block surface rather than running into the thin grooves. I also mounted the linoleum on a chunk of plywood and it’s much happier! Whew! I don’t think I’ll be using a second block at this point but time will tell.

Tomorrow I get my car back so my week of forced studio time is about to end. This has been way too much alone time with the dogs. Missing critique group last night was horrible! Now I have to wait 2 months til the next gathering. Maybe by then this print will be completed!

More work tomorrow! 🙂

Ink used: daniel smith oil based etching ink, proofed on newsprint

1. January 17, 2014 7:06 am

ink change made a big difference… good to know.

January 17, 2014 9:29 am

Yep, so more to come!
      🙂

2. January 18, 2014 10:53 am

That’s very beautiful, Gale. Somehow you have made the hand as delicate as the little bird that is perched there.

January 20, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks! It’s been a fun learning process.:)

3. jhv57 permalink
    January 20, 2014 2:58 am

Are you using a drypoint needle on linoleum? I do a lot of linocuts, but have never heard of this. Very interested in your reply!

January 20, 2014 9:07 am

Hi Judith,
      Yep, it’s just a drypoint needle and linoleum. I would suggest using the gold lino rather than the grey. The grey tends to be too crumbly. Also make sure to use a stiff ink. I broke down and pulled out my oil ink and stiffened it.
      Good luck and let us see what you create!
      Gale

4. January 20, 2014 7:46 am

The effect with the new ink is really marked. The detail is so much more refined.