Colored Rings

June 3, 2015

Tree Rings and Bark, hand-cut paper, Gale Everett Studio 2015

Tree Rings and Bark, hand-cut paper, Gale Everett Studio 2015

When is anything done? That’s a question all artists have to work through with each project they tackle. I’m currently debating that question with the above piece. Is ready for mounting or not? The color is alright, but is it dark enough? Do I even need to consider making it darker since it’s more about the light shining through from behind? Decisions, decisions, decisions… I’ll let it dry and continue contemplation for a while longer.

Size: 13″ x 9.5″ (33cm x 24cm) hand cut Arches watercolor paper, acrylic ink washes

1. June 3, 2015 8:52 pm

how do you have the patience for this…?!? Lovely.

June 4, 2015 3:37 pm

Oh, little grasshopper, I have loads of patience in my blood. To survive working with the computer at CFF, I had to have loads of patience!

2. June 3, 2015 11:13 pm

Titian used to turn his paintings to the wall for 6 months then look at them and finish them. It looks lovely

June 4, 2015 3:35 pm

I won’t be waiting quite that long, but a few days more. I’ll tuck into the studio when the heat gets too much this weekend. It’s going to be 95+. I think I want to live in Swansea… 😉

• June 4, 2015 6:53 pm

OMG! We’d have people dying in heat like that! You are such hardy people!

June 4, 2015 9:38 pm

I don’t know about that, it’s way too early for this sort of temps! This will be a long long summer! Off to look for the space station. It’s passing overhead in a few minutes!

• June 6, 2015 8:45 pm

Ooh did you see it? We’re having an exceptionally cool summer, you’ve taken our sunshine!

June 6, 2015 8:49 pm

Yes we did! Very cool! I guess one can check NASA’s website and find out when it’s passing overhead. It must go over Wales at some time.
        Regarding the weather, I don’t know what to think yet…..

• June 6, 2015 8:50 pm

When it’s gone over Wales, it rained. It’s Wales 😑

June 6, 2015 8:52 pm

Hahaha! Yes, that figures!

June 6, 2015 8:56 pm

Looking it up, you’re able to see it Sunday night at 10:34. Rises in the west and sets in the east. Will be visible for about 6 min.

• June 6, 2015 9:35 pm

Oooh thanks. I’ll check the weather forecast now in a minute.

3. June 4, 2015 12:03 am

There are such lovely textures in this. Rosie’s advice (via Titian!) is good I think – time really helps in making decisions.

June 4, 2015 3:32 pm

I’m sitting on it for a bit and tackling yard work before the weekend heat arrives. We’re supposed to reach 95F. I’m going to melt!

• June 4, 2015 7:19 pm

While you are melting, we will be freezing! Going away this weekend and the temp will be -6C overnight!! Hope you can keep cool.

June 4, 2015 9:36 pm

Now I have to ask, where are you going with temperatures dropping that low? I think of Tasmania getting that low, but not in your area!

• June 7, 2015 8:55 pm

Now I am back, not only low temperatures but no internet either! Every June long weekend we go away with a group of friends to different rural areas and stay in a pub, going four-wheel driving and exploring the area. This year was Gunning, a tiny town 250km south west of Sydney. It gets very cold in those areas, not far from the Snowy Mountains where people (not me!) go skiing each year. Now back in Sydney with temps in the high teens.

June 8, 2015 7:43 am

Sounds like you had a great time. I really enjoy those types of breaks, away from everything familiar and no internet! Skiing in Australia, I had no idea that was even an option. Good to learn new things every day! 🙂

• June 8, 2015 2:37 pm

It was fun, always is. Surprisingly, skiing is big in Australia, but not something that has ever appealed to me!

4. June 4, 2015 3:51 pm

I agree Gale, just wait on it. I make a mess of so much by going in without thinking. This is truly amazing.

June 4, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks Cathe. Yes, it will wait… But my inner voice is telling me to go darker. 😉

5. June 4, 2015 3:54 pm

So nice to see the whole piece. I am also one to put work away for awhile before deciding if it is finished, but it is really lovely piece no matter what the finished details will be. Good luck with the heat, we are in the middle of a cold blast down here. Very cold for us at this time of year.

June 4, 2015 3:57 pm

I noticed you are rather chilly right now. I’ve not paid much attention to your fall weather and it’s nice to know this isn’t normal.

• June 4, 2015 4:04 pm

Good that you are waiting but I agree maybe darker…

6. June 5, 2015 12:44 am

Beautiful work….let time see….maybe darker….but I didn’t say that….amaryllis did….i just maybe agree sort of….ooooh I was terrible with critiques in college. 😦 It is gorgeous all the same!

June 8, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks Rebecca. Yes, it will be going darker and I’m glad everyone agrees. I’m always timid with adding colors to things. It’s an area I didn’t receive much training with at university (one class in color and the instructor was horrible! Plus I never stuck with painting beyond a term). I loved critiques…. Mainly because I enjoyed seeing what everyone else was up to! 🙂

7. jhv57 permalink
    June 8, 2015 4:55 am

Striking work

June 8, 2015 7:45 am

Thank you Judith! Eventually I’ll get back around to it later this week, add extra color and finally push it to the next stage. 🙂

8. June 11, 2015 11:00 pm

This is an amazing example of patience…know these are in no ways finished, but will there be an “afterlife” aspect to them, RE: Rot project?

June 12, 2015 8:27 am

Well, if it doesn’t make the Rot Project cut, then it might make an appearance at POST or get entered into a show or maybe a gallery…. I’m trying not to think about the future cause it damages my brain (negative impact) as I move forward with a project.

9. work in clay permalink
    June 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Oh I know the bad vibes feeling that can creep in and apologies if that does any derailing. This is a cool strong piece that can stand alone!

June 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Cynthia, no worries! I’m in a strong movement forward with this work and it will take more than your comment (from such a dear friend) to derail things. It was a very valid question. I’m glad you feel it’s a strong piece. I’m sure it will travel to the next critique group meeting with it’s new case!

10. July 11, 2015 12:32 am

Yes. Questions about when is an artwork finished. Occasionally I’ve returned to a painting after many years. But mostly I have an instinct. And try to trust it. Love the tree rings.

July 11, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad you like it.
      😀