Art in the hot garden

June 29, 2015
Camas in the garden

Camas in the garden

Saturday was humid and hot. Driving over, I actually encountered a pretty good rain shower, then had a touch more right at opening. With the spotting of rain, the humidity pushed way up and probably kept us from getting to 100 F. Instead we made it into the mid 90’s. The garden was spectacular and crammed with so much diversity of color, texture and patterns. It would have been nice to sit around and work on small sketches, but I chose to hang out by my work and talk with visitors. The kiln opening was like Christmas. So many wonderful things to see, but it was a tad warm in the space! It seemed like Rhoda sold quite a few items fresh from the kiln.

Here are a small group of photos I snapped while walking around the garden. For some silly reason I didn’t get pix of everyone there! I have to blame the heat. We had around 100 visitors who braved the weather. I did sell two small works. Not too shabby for the inaugural year! Next year will be even better!

camas2

Second Camas in the garden.

entrance

Garden entrance.

Front area

Sales and Info, plus my collection of lamps and prints to the far left in front of the garage.

seedpods

Seedpods with sculpture in the background

sheep pair

Mum and baby coming for a visit. Romney Marsh breed.

sheep1

Got any food?

Totems

Totem by the front entrance.

I certainly received loads of praise for the Camas sculptures. Maybe I’ll experiment with one in my garden to see how it holds up to the remaining summer. By fall, I should have a pretty good idea how it fairs with the weathering.

1. June 30, 2015 1:27 am

The camas look fabulous in the garden Gale – its as though they grew there! The garden sale is such a nice idea.

June 30, 2015 3:28 pm

I heard that some people were wondering if they were real (they were looking at them from a great distance or had horrible eyesight)! I was kind of wishing I had placed myself in true garden zone rather than the outlaying area. Next year I can get myself into a better place.
      There are quite a few artists who do garden sales. They pair up with several friends and one who has a beautiful space, advertise and let it happen. It’s a nice alternative to Art Fairs.

2. June 30, 2015 4:18 am

It looks like such a beautiful setting. Congrats on selling two pieces, that’s wonderful!

June 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks Cathe. Too bad the weather was so hot. Us Oregonians can’t handle the heat or humidity, unless it’s rain. Give us overcast skies and 70’s to low 80’s and we’re all good!
      The sales were nice. One print and one single camas flower. What I thought would sell wasn’t given much looks. Oh well. You can never tell what will grab anyone.

3. July 2, 2015 3:22 pm

What a lovely place for your art Gale. Looks as though it was a great day and sales made as well. Karen

July 9, 2015 7:44 am

I regret not taking more sculptures, but it doesn’t matter now. Eventually a check will arrive.
      We are finally getting cooler weather! 😀