First 8

August 22, 2016
full 8_geverettstudio

The first 8 2ft x 2ft panels

Somehow, I’ve managed to get to this point, completing the first 8 panels for the Halsey project. The actual wall placement isn’t correct yet, but there’s still more to figure out. The Meadowfoam flowers completed the set.

grey scale meadowfoam2_geverettstudio

Original hand cut paper image

meadowfoam final cut_geverettstudio

Finished metal cut piece.

Interestingly, here at home the city has been working on the water main/meter for the past 3 days. Today, I actually chatted with the guys and one of them LIVES in Halsey! In fact, I even know which house! It was nice to show him the piece in progress. He knows which building I’ll be hanging the work on and said he’ll stop by. It’s such a small world around here.

Last week I was returning from a Eugene trip and stopped in Halsey for a few more photos before sunset. Well, traffic in Eugene was horrible (due to a major accident) and I was late heading north. By the time I reached Halsey, the sun had already set. However, there was another big event occurring in town: one of the seed warehouses was on fire! A major bummer for DLF. From what I heard, no one was injured and I still hope that’s true. The building was the farthest south in their lineup and it won’t effect our project. Of course I had my camera along and snapped a couple of quick photos. Then I went off and visited a barn I adore. You’ll be seeing it in the side panels along with Mary’s Peak.

Halsey Fire

Large panels to get started tomorrow! Or so I hope!

And for those just checking in for the first time: This is my journey to create a public artwork for the city of Halsey, OR. The work will be hung September 20, 2016 and will remain up for 6 months. I was inspired by Halsey’s connection to the land: agricultural crops and the scenery looking west from town. This project is sponsored through The Arts Center of Corvallis and DLF/Pickseed USA.

1. August 22, 2016 9:16 pm

These images are looking so good Gale, and so effortless, although I know they aren’t!

• August 23, 2016 5:53 am

I wish it was effortless! Gosh, then creating art would be made by everyone! More fun times to come…. Urgh!

2. August 23, 2016 7:43 am

Oh I do hope that everyone’s alright after that fire! And the artworks are fabulous

• August 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Apparently, all workers are fine. 🙂
      I’m glad you’re enjoying the project!

• August 23, 2016 8:35 pm

It’s lovely, it’s a privilege to see your process. Can’t wait to see it installed

3. Hester Coucke permalink
    August 23, 2016 9:59 am

I contacted DLF and they said the damage was “limited”, no injuries. Not sure what limited means if the bldg burnt out…but I am not a very large corporation 🙂

4. August 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Much drama at your place, how awful for the company. The art looks fabulous, I really like the meadowfoam cutout. Getting closer to the finish. Karen

• August 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I’m looking forward to November when things theoretically settle down. For some reason I chose to take part in another round of the Open Studio tour. I have nothing new to sell, but I’ll worry about that once I get through the Halsey Project. The three long panels will be much simpler cuts. I’m leaving the detailed work to the square panels. 🙂