Wishbone

May 29, 2013

wishbone5-29-13

Resting on the kitchen windowsill are a pair of chicken wishbones. We haven’t pulled them apart yet, but it might be soon. A serious wish is needed for my father-in-law. I don’t mention my husbands family much but both of his parents are going through cancer. His father was doing better back in April with esophageal and pancreatic cancer. Chemo had reduced the hot spots by a significant amount. Fast forward through May and those same places are 30% larger than they have ever been. Plus there is new activity in the liver and possibly the brain.  Friday’s liver biopsy and brain MRI will tell more. One doctor has already given a 9 month life expectancy.

I’ve been pondering starting a new print series and this might be it. Wishes and things we wish upon. I hope my friend Cynthia won’t mind if I head down this path. She did a wonderful series of wishbone work last year in clay.

Drawn in my sketchbook with charcoal and conte crayon. Somehow it ended up  moving over the ditch of the book and not reaching completion.

1. May 29, 2013 1:45 pm

oh I thought that little particle on the other side was intentional, it looks so good that way. Sound like wishes are a good subject matter for you to take on right now!

May 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Yep, they certainly resonate outward to many. Yes, the little particle was intentional but I just didn’t want to finish it.
      🙂

2. May 29, 2013 1:53 pm

It’s so hard to cope with the illness of our loved ones. Take care x

May 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks Rose.
      I feel like this one will be a tad easier on me, but my husband will unfortunately go through some of what I experienced over the past 3+ years. Texas will be getting a visit from us sooner than later.

3. Tracie permalink
    June 3, 2013 5:41 am

Gale I think this will be a lovely subject matter at such a trying time. Love to Dave. Keep some for yourself too.

June 3, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks so much Tracie. I’m trying to get Dave to go visit in the next couple of weeks rather than waiting til July. I think things will be progressing quickly. We’ll know more Tuesday (Dr appointment moved up a week… not good).