Model Camas

May 29, 2014
camas flower

Camas Sculpture Model- wire, tracing paper, wax. ©2014GaleEverettStudio

Camas on a stick anyone? This is a sneak peak of my current concept for the Art in Rural Storefronts Project for Halsey Oregon. The above model has received limited hours of work, has no finished color, and a very quick assembly.  Very quick!! It’s been constructed strictly to see if my ideas are feasible and they are!!!  The piece is only about 20″ ( 46 cm) tall (from the bottom petal to the top flower bud) which is about 1/3 the expected finished size. Plus there will be multiple stalks of camas.  Eventually the viewers will be looking through a” field” of giant camas. Kind of like when you’re a kid laying down in grassy fields, taking a bugs eye view of the world. Adults never seem to do that anymore. 🙂

For the backdrop, I’ll be using recycled interior doors. They will be linked together with a loose charcoal landscape drawing over the surface. Still working on a title for the piece.

1. Hester Coucke permalink
    May 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Love it!

May 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks Hester! I promise to get stuff into you by 5pm Friday! I’ve slipped behind but hope to pull it together tomorrow. 🙂

2. Rebecca permalink
    May 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Awesome as always…. I can’t wait to see this unfold!

May 29, 2014 7:30 pm

I’m amazed at how quickly this could potentially come together. So much better than all the walnut dyed paper squares for the fish project! 🙂

3. Katheryn byram permalink
    May 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Love it and your creative energy. Always unique ideas.

May 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks Kathy! You’re so sweet! 😀

4. May 30, 2014 8:14 am

Fantastic Gale 🙂

May 30, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you! I’m looking forward to this project. 😀

5. May 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Totally love it. The camas look great and the idea of the child’s eye view of them from below is inspired. I think it is part of our role as an artist to get people to see things in a different way, and to do this by taking us back to the freedom of our childhood is fabulous. Karen

May 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I’m so glad it’s receiving good comments. I had hoped it would. Yes, taking things to a different level for people to look at is a great thing to do. Personally, I love seeing hanging sculptures that force the viewers to look up. Of course this isn’t a hanging one, but it will certainly change the viewpoint. Thanks so much for your comment Karen! 🙂

6. May 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Looking great Gale – I especially love the idea of the scale, it will be a very powerful work.