Dried

February 21, 2016

dry

The final page in Anna’s book is progressing. You can see just a tad of Cathe’s image to the right. The subject I chose was the stages of a Christmas Cactus(Schlumbergera) flower. This, the final page, holds a dried/shriveled flower. I stared out using colored pencils and shifted rapidly to watercolors. We shall see how it all turns out.

I was surprised at how intricate the flower becomes once dried. So much detail shows through the dried petals! It was this detail  that stopped movement forward on the project. I couldn’t “dumb things down” in my brain and allow a looser flowing drawing. Somehow I managed to let go and take baby steps forward.  Maybe in another day it will be finished!

1. February 21, 2016 8:42 pm

It’s a labour of love. Shrivelled flowers are gorgeous

February 22, 2016 9:01 am

So true!

• February 22, 2016 2:23 pm

There’s something weird happening when I click on your photo or name on WordPress, I get a blank page. have you noticed anything odd at your end?

February 22, 2016 2:26 pm

It seems sluggish today. It might have to do with me being on my site? Who knows. One of those weird glitchy computer things I hope!

• February 22, 2016 4:31 pm

It’s still being weird

February 22, 2016 4:40 pm

You probably can’t even see the ‘final page’ post from today. I don’t think it’s registering with any of my followers. Jeez!

• February 22, 2016 11:11 pm

I have been able to see your posts in WordPress Reader and the emails have been coming through, but when I click onto your name or photo it takes me to a blank page. Weird

• February 22, 2016 11:15 pm

So I can reply to you here but can’t connect to your blog when I click on your photo. I will go and check the emails.

2. February 21, 2016 10:35 pm

Looking wonderful Gale – I love flowers at this stage of their life. So much character.

February 22, 2016 9:00 am

I’m so impressed with your delicate and intense work in the book. I keep looking at your drawings and wonder how you did them, what pencils used, how often you had to sharpen the points to achieve such detail. I continue to be in awe of your work!

• February 22, 2016 12:17 pm

Oh Gale, what a lovely thing to say! I do enjoy getting lost in all that detail, and it reminds me to do more … Off the top of my head I can’t remember the pencils I used, but I don’t keep them particularly sharp. Often for fine detail I use the 2mm clutch pencils as I can sharpen them to a murderous point!

3. jhv57 permalink
    February 22, 2016 2:02 am

Interesting comment you made about ” dumb it down”. There’s magic when your brain doesn’t get in the way.
    Good reminder!

February 22, 2016 8:56 am

Danny Gregory would term it something like “shut your monkey ” since we all have those inner monkeys pushing us down. That constant inner battle is the hardest for me to overcome in order to produce anything. 😀