Skip to content

Reliquary Project: The Test

October 22, 2009

Starting disclaimer: I am not a woodworker! Anything I do in wood is a bit crude so be patient! The end product will look pretty good. Tool supply is limited too.

Rather than jumping into this project with Black Walnut, I created a test using poplar. It was ok for a test, certainly not for a finished product since it is an extremely soft wood.

First step:  measure out the board thickness and width then created a measured line drawing.  This step is something I learned from my father, a real woodworker. Best to get everything down on paper prior to cutting.

line drawing

Next, I transferred this information to the board and cut using a table saw. I used lap joints rather than miter. Once the lap joints were smooth, I tested the basic fit.

basic box1

Things looked good so I moved on to creating the windows.

Windows were the tricky area I just didn’t know how best to approach.  Did I want a single big window or multiple? How easy was it going to be to smoothly cut this space? What tool would be the best? I drilled holes close to the four corners and chose a coping saw for the cuts. The blue is painters tape used to hold 2 boards together (why not kill two birds with one stone?). Not great but an interesting trial.

coping saw

Basic window was cut but a lot of sanding would be needed to get the edges level.

window cut

I decided I didn’t like the look of the large single window and decided to break up the space with two smaller ones.

window cut2

This seemed to work a bit better for my taste. Next problem is the window treatment.

I thought about using a thin printmaking paper but it didn’t provide enough transparency. Then I thought about sandwiching cut black paper silhouettes between waxed print paper. Too much! How about leaves? I certainly have quite a few left around…

window treatment

Things are starting to work better. I think multiple small window are the way to go for the final project. Hopefully the walnut will cut better than the poplar. The windows will have to be sanded before gluing the box together. The unit will then drop on top of the base unit (that will hold the wire heart).

Advertisements
8 Comments leave one →
  1. October 22, 2009 6:41 pm

    thats great

    • paperstew permalink*
      October 23, 2009 7:32 am

      Thanks! The black walnut is working much better than the poplar.

  2. Carol permalink
    October 23, 2009 8:01 am

    Way cool looking. What’s inside?
    C.

    • paperstew permalink*
      October 23, 2009 8:27 am

      It’s going to be a wire heart covered in hog gut! Thank you Melissa Manley for the great ArtFest class. Still trying to figure out how to get it lighted. Wait! I know someone who has a EE degree and works in optics. Maybe Dave will assist on this. Check out the new posting from yesterdays work.

  3. henryjones2 permalink
    November 3, 2009 7:54 am

    Nicely done.

    Jake Behlen, Jr.
    Waterlox, Co.

    • paperstew permalink*
      November 3, 2009 7:44 pm

      Thanks Jake for the comment. I hope you check back to see the finished piece.

  4. jeul permalink
    November 3, 2009 8:02 pm

    Hi Gale, when I googled to find a meaning for reliquary, one was “it may contain the remains of a saint”, wondered if you had someone in mind. Jean

    • paperstew permalink*
      November 3, 2009 8:48 pm

      Maybe in the next day or two I’ll post the background on the piece. You’re correct in thinking it has to do w/ Saint Evelyn! Maybe it should be Lee who is the saint for all his support. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: