This is for you Wendy Y-H. Hope you take a peek!
For this seasons 4E house project I’ve decided to create a tunnel book. Each artist has to respond to the previous artist’s page, there is no real subject (well, not at this point because I’m still creating the back ground). Tunnel books are assembled with a solid back and accordion pleated sides. Each interior page is cut away. This is a basic tutorial for the creation and will accompany the project.
To start with , I picked a dark green 80lb cover stock for the accordion pleated sides. One sheet (8.5″x11″) folded long-ways and divided (4.25″x11″) was enough for this small book. I then folded one section in half (5.5″x4.25″) and marked it every .75 inches. A straight edge and bone folder were used to create the folds. After the folds were creased, I marked basic points to punch small holes for attaching the pages. One could certainly just use glue to attach the pages and in hindsight, its a much easier process.
Created from a quartered section of 80lb cover paper(8.5″x11″), I made the book 6 pages deep including the back and front window.
I had a simple image in my mind incorporating hills, trees and a house. I started from the back and worked forward in design, so tallest mountains reside on back page, hill with house on next, lower hills w/ trees, lower and lower hills towards the front and the final frame.
I used an exacto blade to remove the negative space on each page.
Once all the pages were cut to my liking, I sanded them w/ 220 grit to create a surface for the pastels to adhere. One could also just spray fixative to help adhesion. This was only the 4th time ever using chalk pastels. After multiple layering of pastels and fixative it could move on to the next step. Attaching pages to the accordion sides.
This was more time consuming than I originally thought. I decided to stitch the pages into place using embroidery floss and hot pink was the only color to be found. The floss was then tied around bamboo skewer sticks. The bamboo did have the problem of slipping out so a small amount of PVA glue was applied at each knot.