Skip to content

Reliquary Project: Gluing

October 27, 2009

Glue! That’s where we’re at today. Plus some cuts to create the base.

Here we go:

Started the day by gluing the 4 walls together. Sorry, no boring photos of that! I’m sure you can imagine it. Not certain at this point how to work the lid into place. Moved on to the base. Took my largest chunk of walnut remaining in my stash and cut it to size.  It was almost 1″ thick (scrap from a table created several years back)

base

Next I created the raised platform space by cutting away about 1/2″ from the sides and top using the table saw.

cut base

By this time, the clamps could be removed from the sides and trial fitted on the base. Not too shabby! I think I’ve figured out how to address the “lid” portion.

box on base

So rather than creating a lightweight lid that lifts off the top of the box, the entire box lifts off the pedestal to reveal the mystery inside.  I had to create a 1/8″ deep lap joint in the top to securely receive the walls. Wood glue applied and everything clamped for the next couple of hours. I’ll tackle the sanding and over-gooping tomorrow.

gluing top1

Heavy duty clamping in action!

gluing top

Wow, it’s starting to really take form! Amazing! And no help from the cats today. Maybe tomorrow.

 

Advertisements
One Comment leave one →
  1. Cynthia Spencer permalink
    October 29, 2009 12:36 pm

    I’ve got clamp envy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: