Radish blooms and a bee

Finally panel #7 is finished! I’ve been reading more about certain crops like Meadowfoam and Radishes. They’re grown for oil production. Bees are 100% required for pollinating the crops, nothing else can do the job. Panel #8 is now in design mode. I started a piece focused on apple branches, but I’m getting pulled towardsContinue reading “Radish blooms and a bee”

Three out of Four

Progress continues forward as energy levels fade. Three out of four pairs are now cut. The wheat image (upper right) was completed today after almost four days of work. Granted, the work wasn’t continuous. I burned out after the first four squares and had a difficult time trying to move forward. This type of projectContinue reading “Three out of Four”

Completing the first quad

I’m pushing for a goal of 4 panels per week. Wednesday was the Hazelnut panel. It didn’t look all that complicated, but I had several interruptions that broke it into two days of work. Thursday, I set in motion the least liked (but certainly impressive) tree ring image. The day didn’t bode well as I immediatelyContinue reading “Completing the first quad”

Clover and Grasses

Whew! It’s August 1 and I’m finally making advances creating art for Halsey, OR. July was consumed by house projects, from re-roofing to installation of a new heating system. Those projects are completed but others have sprung up to compensate for the changes. I won’t bore  you with that stuff, but I suspect the work will takeContinue reading “Clover and Grasses”

Finishing the Squares

A large magnifier with light is one of the essential tools I’ve acquired from my father’s studio. It’s attached to the drafting table he used for many many years. This is the same set-up I currently use in my space. It’s nice to have a piece of his history under my hands and eyes daily.Continue reading “Finishing the Squares”

Feeling better

Progress: The above photo shows the preliminary layout of current squares. I’m trying to keep a circular flow through both sides of the design. I’ll audition (swapping) the wheat and Hazelnut images to balance things a bit more. The right half is feeling heavy. I also used the image of the first grainery building, rather thanContinue reading “Feeling better”

Center Panel Work

Slowly the central long panel is coming into form. I started with a super basic line cut. Then I moved into something more complicated and connected to the community. It’s still underway and not yet finished. Below is the piece to connect to the paper mill in town. I spent some time on their websiteContinue reading “Center Panel Work”

Clover

This was probably the quickest hand-cut paper piece I’ve done so far. I’ll probably alter the arrangement a tad more, to keep better connection to the sides. Clover is quite an abundant crop in the Halsey area due to the local honey producers. Back in 2014, when I created the camas project, I made sureContinue reading “Clover”

Wheat and shingles 

I finished the first wheat trial and it’s received loads of interest with my FB friends. I’ll continue playing with this form by adding in a few additional stalks to the design (or going for more of a micro view by zooming in on the kernels). The work needs to cover a 2 ft xContinue reading “Wheat and shingles “

Second Attempt

Today I’m continuing work on figuring out the best way to portray the influx of Hazelnut crops into the Willamette valley. Halsey and surrounding communities have their share of newly planted orchards. The above piece focuses on the actual developing nut cluster with their wild paper coverings. The current crop is on the young side.Continue reading “Second Attempt”